In the closest race for president in Michigan’s history, Republican Donald Trump is hanging on to a 10,704-vote win over Democrat Hillary Clinton.
The Michigan Secretary of State posted results Wednesday that were submitted by the state’s 83 county clerks on Tuesday after the votes were reviewed and certified by each county.
Before that compiled count, Trump held a 13,107-vote lead over Clinton. But after each county certified its results, the lead shrunk to 10,704, with the biggest chunk coming from Wayne County, which showed that Clinton had gotten 565 more votes than originally tallied by the county.
The state’s Board of Canvassers will officially certify the results on Nov. 28. The electoral college in all the states, including Michigan’s 16 electors, will cast their votes on Dec. 19.
“Many people have asked about Michigan’s process for counting ballots and certifying election results. Please be aware that all 1,521 Michigan cities and townships completed ballot counting and reported unofficial results by the morning of Wednesday, Nov. 9,” according to a statement on the Secretary of State’s website. “The county canvassing boards, as they do after every election, then began their work to review and certify the results from each precinct.”
Across the nation, Trump won 306 electoral votes — including Michigan’s 16 — to 232 for Clinton. In the popular vote, Clinton holds a lead of more than 2 million votes.
► Related: Green Party pushes for recount in key states
Trump is the first Republican presidential candidate since 1988 to win Michigan.
The vote totals that will be submitted to the state Canvassers Board on Nov. 28 are:
- Donald J. Trump, Republican: 2,279,543
- Hillary Clinton, Democratic: 2,268,839
- Gary Johnson, Libertarian: 172,136
- Jill Stein, Green: 51,463
- Darrell L. Castle, U.S. Taxpayers: 16,139
- Evan McMullin, write-in: 8,177
- Emidio Mimi Soltysik, Natural Law: 2,209
- Michael Maturen, write-in: 517
- Tom Hoefling, write-in: 95
- Laurence Kotlikoff, write-in: 87
- Ben Hartnell, write-in: 39
- Monica Moorehead, write-in: 30
- Cherunda Fox, write-in: 10