- A number of people have been killed and another 21 people are injured after gunmen went on a shooting rampage
- Police operation is ongoing in Munich, with the force warning people to stay in their homes and avoid public spaces
- Terrified shoppers were seen running for their lives from the Olympia Shopping Centre after hearing gunshots
- Witnesses said that the shopping centre gunman screamed ‘I’m German’ and ‘Allahu Akbar’ before shooting
- Shooter reportedly fled after his shooting spree on the city underground network, which has now been shut down
- His body was found half a mile from the scene. Police believe he acted alone after initially looking for three gunmen
- He has now been identified as an 18-year-old Iranian, who has been living in Munich for more than two years
Police are investigating a fake Facebook advert which offered free food at the McDonald’s where a gunman killed the first of his nine victims.
Munich was in lockdown for a major police operation around the city’s Olympic Park, after an 18-year-old Iranian opened fire at the fast food restaurant, before targeting shoppers in a busy mall.
The gunman’s body has been found half a mile from the scene after he reportedly turned the gun on himself. Police now believe he may have acted alone, after they initially went in search of three gunmen yesterday.
And at a press conference at 2.30am local time today, Munich Police President Hubertus Andrae confirmed the force were probing a Facebook page which was offering free food at the McDonald’s at the same time the gunman began his shooting spree.
The shooter has been identified as a dual nationality German-Iranian, who has been living in Munich for more than two years.
A total of 21 people were taken to hospital as a result of the incident – three are fighting for their lives in critical condition and 13 are still receiving medical treatment.
Terrified shoppers were seen running for their lives from the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre, in the district of Moosach, after hearing gunshots.
Witnesses said that the gunman screamed ‘I’m German’ and ‘Allahu Akbar’ before shooting at children.